Friday, July 28, 2006

iPod Squad Part 3, 2:00-2:59

What more can I say about the musical genius of Elliott Smith? It doesn't get much better than Oh Well, Okay when he sings "If you get a feeling next time you see me, do me a favor and let me know cause it's hard to tell, its hard to say...". An old college roommate, Bruce Jensen, got me into Uncle Tupelo, which in turn led to Son Volt. I bought Ron Sexsmith's album "Blueboy" based on two things 1) the cover artwork and 2) the fact that it was produced by Steve Earle. It's turned out to be one of my best blind purchases. I know Robert Skoro, from when he was bassist for Mason Jennings. I preordered the first album when it came out and he had written "Hey Les!" on the package. SSLYBY has a great album, "Broom" which is full of snappy pop music, and this track sounds a bit like the second coming of (old) Weezer. Chan Marshall, moniker "Cat Power", has released one of my favorite albums of this year, aptly titled "The Greatest."

1. Elliott Smith - Oh Well, Okay
2. Jose Gonzalez - Crosses
3. Cat Power - Where Is My Love?
4. The Beach Boys - God Only Knows
5. Ron Sexsmith - Miracle In Itself
6. John Vanderslice - Gruesome Details
7. Robert Skoro - Two-Part Harmony
8. Beulah - Burned By the Sun
9. Hank Williams - Lovesick Blues
10. Field Music - You Can Decide
11. The Rosebuds - Hold Hands and Fight
12. Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - Oregon Girl
13. Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
14. Son Volt - Windfall
15. M. Ward - I'll Be Yr Bird

No comments: