Thursday, October 04, 2007

Playlist IV: Octoburn

1. Peter and the Wolf - The Highway: This is from one of my favorite albums of 2006. I think I may have a weakness for songs about roads.

2. Johnny Cash - I See a Darkness: Cash's rendition of this Bonnie "Prince" Billy masterpeice is better than the original. Probably the greatest "buddy" song ever written. "...and light it up forever, and never go to sleep. My best unbeaten brother, this isn't all I see."

3. Beach House - Apple Orchard: Lots of indie praise for this one. Minimal and beautiful. I nice way to slip into our Fall clothing.

4. Randy Newman - Sail Away: From Newman's album of the same name, which becomes more relevent as time goes by. Gus likes to bop his head to Randy's music.

5. Jens Lekman - At the Dept. of Forgotten Songs: What is really going on up there in Sweden, can anybody tell me? All these crazy amazing musicians coming down from the north. Ya' suspect.

6. Ron Sexsmith - These Days: Love him. I bought "Blue Boy" the day it came out not knowing anything about him, just because I loved the cover art and saw it was produced by Steve Earle. I heard NPR describe him as the musician all other musicians admire, but who no one wants to be (due to lack of comercial success).

7. Low - Breaker: I wasn't coverted to Low until this year when I saw Alan Sparhawk's Take Away Show. He is the real deal.

8. Jaymay - What Happened: Not John Mayer, btw. I came across her about 5 years ago I think. Still haven't heard much from her, but her stuff is nice.

9. Elvis Perkins - While You Were Sleeping: I'm gonna be mad if this was inspired by the movie. His album Ash Wednesday has been a real slow grower on me this year. This is one of the better tracks.

10. Patty Griffin - Moon River: Petite redhead with sharp features and a voice that breaks the earth. She is capable of anything. Love this cover.

2 comments:

Lacey Jane said...

Wow... I'm really digging the Beach House track. Thanks for the intro. I agree... I adore the lyrics to 'I See a Darkness,' though I'm a huge fan, huge fan, of the original. But, I won't dispute that Cash's version is also great.

Thanks for the new music!

Nick said...

I'll give you one guess as to my favorite on this list. Where would we be without buddies?