Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Radiohead: In Rainbows


A two-part post...

The Experiment: Radiohead, the band commonly considered to be the greatest to ever grace the sweet grass of planet earth (according to most music junkies I know anyways), made a landmark move today within the music business. They decided to take their new record and release it themselves (since they are free of label contracts) and make it available for download via their website only, and allow you to pay as much or a little as you want for it. Free? Sure, if you want to. I doubt they're the first band to come up with this idea, but they're the first on their level of popularity and artistry to do it. I heard on the radio this morning that their last few records sold upwards of 200K copies during the first week. Who knows how this record will fare in comparison without the push of a major label, but I must admit that the marketing appeals to me deeply, and is a demonstration of real faith in their fans, some of whom may pay 50 dollars but many of whom will take it for free I'd imagine. I love it. I hope that the band decides to release the sales revenue data, because this is an experiment that could really change how music is bought and sold for big artists at the end of their contracts.

The Music: A few of you who know my taste in music know that Radiohead completely lost me after OK Computer. That was a great album, without a doubt, certainly one of that decade's finest, but I was left to just raise my eyebrows and mutter, "I just don't get it" during all of the Kid A and Amnesiac hoopla. I still follow what they do with mild curiosity, but am not one of their devout disciples who feels they can do no wrong. So when I downloaded In Rainbows today (for 2.5 pounds = $6.00 USD including debit card fee) I wasn't sure what I was in for. Maybe I'm just having a good day, but I've listened to it twice, and I actually really like the album. Some songs I would even say I love (Nude, Reckoner, House of Cards). Sheesh. What's a proud indifferent-to-Radiohead guy to do? There's a track or two I don't care for (Bodysnatchers), and I still wish I could tell what Thom was singing, but other that this is an extremely strong record.

6 comments:

Beingandy said...

I completely agree the album and the experiment are great! I too wish I could understand Thom. Can you imagine the loss of waiste with something like this what gets made will be used maybe some lost energy but a big band doing this is just cool.

James said...

Thanks to your post I went on their site and bought this album. I really like it.

Tim said...

Go ahead and place the songs on your blog so I can listen while I am doing my homework.

Christy said...

Les, you really need to post another item soon. You are really falling behind. r

Christy said...

still nothing huh? hmm. maybe i need to be making you a better breakfast in the morning.

Les said...

Thanks for caring enough to ask for more. I'll do better.