Friday, April 18, 2008

Bon Iver


It's called For Emma, Forever Ago, and it is my favorite album so far this year. I was a little worried after listening for a minute that I might not like the vocals. Sometimes I get really bummed out by all the weirdy-ness of vocalists like Spencer Krug (Wolf Parade, Sunset Rubdown, Frog's Eyes, Swan Lake, how-many-more-bands-can-one-possibly-play-in-?). But I digress.

This really is fantastic songwriting. The hooks are really beautiful, and though the lyrics are a bit cryptic there is some great imagery:

There's a black crow sitting across from me
And his wiry legs are crossed
And he's dangling my keys (he even fakes a toss)
Whatever could it be that has brought me to this loss?

This is not the sound of a new man
Or a crispy realization
It's the sound of the unlocking and lift away
Your love will be safe with me


That's nice, isn't it? Definitely worth buying or at least checking it out from the library, or the very least burning from your buddy down the street.

No comments: