Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Everything is Illuminated



I love this book in concept. I love the journey, the language, the energy, the search, the foreboding unresolvability. But the one thing which served in large part as a deal breaker, was the sexuality. And I'm not that squeamish of a guy, but for me it only served to harm the story, and is, unfortunately, the sole reason I will never be able to recommend this book in good faith to anyone I know, which is sad because it really doesn't have anything to do with what, for me, was the central journey and central questions of the book. Foer's writing is amazing, and I'm waiting (and will continue to wait patiently) to be floored by him.

3 comments:

Nick said...

Hello brother. Great new look on the blog. I don't think this guy will ever floor us. Theres an underlying build up of dissapointment in his writing. I feel like its potentially great as I'm reading, but I see it unraveling in a way I don't like or agree with. Do you know what I mean??

Beingandy said...

I have not read this novel but I did read his newer novel "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" which was an amazing unique experience that will be very hard to make into a movie or even put onto an audio format. I would recommend even though it also has a few unnecessary sexual comments.

Quinn and/or Lauralee said...

Hey Les -- it's me: Lavy! Just stumbled across your blog again after many years. It's good to catch up with you even if it's without you knowing. Congratulations on the baby boy. We have a child now too (a daughter).

I realize that I'm commenting on a post that's 6 months old, but this one caught my attention because I actually saw the movie version of "Everything is Illuminated" and have the same frustrations you commented on. The movie was thoughtful, visually stunning, and poignant...until the midget prostitute arrives. What in the world???

Hope things are going well. We have a blog you can visit: quinnandlauralee(dot)blogspot(dot)com.