Wednesday, August 09, 2006

iPod Squad Part 10, 9:00+

Nine minutes? A song this long had better be good, or I'm checking out. Some of these are better than others, that is for sure. Meatloaf takes me back to high school and this song is completely grandiose. I love it. High school also reminds me of Tori Amos. Haven't listened to her since really, but I the first time I saw her play I couldn't look away. This Islands track is pretty good (except the first 5 minutes are white noise). This Destroyer song is amazing, and so is most of his latest album. Phish. I can say I saw them play in on New Years Eve 2000 in the Florida Everglades along with friends Kevin Holgate and Faren Eddins. A trip to remember. They played this, of course. Van Morrison is so, so, so much more than the "Brown Eyed Girl" guy. Astral Weeks is an album everyone should have. Stevie Wonder is a living legend. It is hard to overstate his contribution to the musical world. What a voice! He is still making relevant and challenging music today. This song is the title track from his latest.

This concludes the iPod Squad series. I know the lists have been pretty indie-heavy, but I'm really not all that bohemian. I like what I think sounds good and readily admit that I can get into Garth Brooks and Michael Jackson as much as I can The Starlight Mints and Sparrow House.

1. Destroyer - Rubies
2. Gillian Welch - I Dream A Highway
3. Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell
4. Ryan Adams - Nobody Girl
5. Islands - Untitled
6. David Gray - Say Hello, Wave Goodbye
7. Tori Amos - Yes, Anastasia
8. Broken Social Scene - It's All Gonna Break
9. Sufjan Stevens - Oh God, Where Are You Now?
10. Bruce Springsteen - Jungleland
11. Van Morrison - Madame George
12. Phish - Run Like An Antelope
13. Natalie Merchant - When They Ring The Golden Bells
14. The Polyphonic Spree - Section 19 (When The Fool Becomes A King)
15. Stevie Wonder - A Time To Love (feat. India Arie)

No comments: