Thursday, August 03, 2006

iPod Squad Part 7, 6:00-6:59

This Sufjan track is definately one of my all time favorite songs. When it switches from the 5/4 time signature in part 1 to 4/4 in part 2 is sheer greatness. I love the imagery of Carl Sandburg visiting him in a dream asking him the crucial question, "Are you writing from the heart?" That has become a mantra of mine. I saw Nick Urata, the heart and soul of DeVotchka, open a set for Mason Jennings in Denver a few years ago. I was mesmerized by that loud, soaring voice. I discovered this song while watching the trailer to "Everything is Illuminated" (a film that redeems Frodo Baggins way more than any trip to Mount Doom could). Rufus Wainwright's "Go or Go Ahead" is one of the best songs on this list, download it now! What a great voice. I included this Greg Brown song because of this line, "I will go fishing--get with the flow. I know a river out in Idaho where I'll catch a big trout and let him go. And I'll be happy." Danielson is a weird dude, and this is a weird song, so if you're into weirdness this may be a good day for you. Christy dislikes Joanna Newsome, and its been said that she sounds like Lisa Simpson, but I think she's brilliant and unique. So many good tunes here. This may just be the greatest....mix....ever.

1. Sufjan Stevens - Come On! Feel the Illinoise!
2. DeVotchka - How it Ends
3. Rufus Wainwright - Go or Go Ahead
4. Pedro the Lion - Secret of the Easy Yolk
5. Joanna Newsome - Sadie
6. Greg Brown - Just By Myself (live)
7. Sarah Harmer - Dandelions In Bullet Holes
8. Billy Joel - New York State of Mind
9. The Wrens - 13 Months in 6 Minutes
10. Radiohead - Paranoid Android
11. Alison Krauss & Union Station - Oh, Atlanta (live)
12. Danielson - Kids Pushing Kids
13. Tracy Chapman - Smoke and Ashes
14. Denison Witmer - You Got Me Good
15. Tom Waits - Tom Traubert's Blues

No comments: