Tuesday, August 08, 2006

iPod Squad Part 9, 8:00-8:59

When I was a freshman in high-school I was an aspiring drummer, and I would spend my afternoons laying on my bed, eyes closed, and Stairway to Heaven playing on my boom box. With drumsticks in hand, I would try and imitate every percieved move by John Bonham's immaculate playing. It is amazing how great of a drummer you can be in those closed door moments. Needless to say it didn't really translate when I ended up sitting down at the actual kit. Zeppelin is, of course, a landmark group and a pretty necessary phase for most kids in high-school. So much hype surrounds Neutral Milk Hotel's album In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. Rightfully so, in my opinion. It is a pretty amazing peice of work, and this selection is great, although not my favorite from the record. My friend Steven Gertsch, a fantastic cellist in his own right, introduced me to Bach's Cello Suites by Yo-Yo Ma. They get played at my house as much as anything else does. Thanks Steven! I didn't have time to upload all of the songs on this playlist, but I hit a couple (but not all) of the really cool ones.

1. Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven
2. Neil Young - Like a Hurricane
3. Neutral Milk Hotel - Oh, Comely
4. Matthew Good Band - While We Were Hunting Rabbits
5. Stevie Wonder - Superman
6. Built to Spill - Broken Chairs
7. Grandaddy - He's Simple, He's Dumb, He's the Pilot
8. Okkervil River - So Come Back, I Am Waiting
9. Yo Yo Ma - Bach's Cello Suite #6 in D, Allemande
10. Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds - Jimi Thing (live)
11. Bob Dylan - Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
12. The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again
13. T.V. On The Radio - Wash the Day
14. My Morning Jacket - Dondante
15. LCD Soundsystem - Beat Connection

No comments: