Tuesday, August 01, 2006

iPod Squad Part 5, 4:00-4:59

We've now broken the four minute mark! I love the end of this Andrew Bird tune, when he describes what I see as some end-of-days utopia. There will be snacks! Some may think I'm strange but I think Willie Nelson has one of the greatest voices of all time. His control is amazing, and this selection does it justice. Colby introduced me to Josh Rouse and Bonnie "Prince" Billy. "I See A Darkness" is a crushing song whose power I really didn't see until I heard the Johnny Cash cover. Take these lines for instance, "I hope that someday, buddy, we'll have peace in our lives, together or apart, alone or with our wives, then we can stop our whoring, and pull the smiles inside, and light it up forever and never go to sleep. My best unbeaten brother, this isn't all I see." Lucinda is a superb songwriter, and the Jayhawks have never received the artistic recognition they deserve. The Shins' James Mercer is one of the best pop lyricists out there in my opinion...get this, "Mercy's eyes are blue and when she places them in front of you, nothing holds a roman candle to the solemn warmth you feel. There's no measuring of it as nothing else is love." Beat that!

1. Andrew Bird - Tables and Chairs
2. Sufjan Stevens - Romulus
3. Haley Bonar - Am I Allowed
4. Willie Nelson - Angel Flying Too Close To the Ground
5. The Shins - Saint Simon
6. Bloc Party - Like Eating Glass
7. The Flaming Lips - Fight Test
8. Belle and Sebastian - The Boy Done Wrong Again
9. The Jayhawks - Trouble
10. Lucinda Williams - He Never Got Enough Love
11. Josh Rouse - Laughter
12. The Postal Service - The District Sleeps Alone Tonight
13. Bonnie "Prince" Billy - I See A Darkness
14. Iron & Wine - Sodom, South Georgia
15. Of Montreal - The Party's Crashing Me

No comments: