Wednesday, August 02, 2006

iPod Squad Part 6, 5:00-5:59

When I can convince Christy to sing along to my guitar playing it's always to Patty Griffin's music. I get the chills when she does "Nobody's Crying," so that had to make this list. The first time I heard Joni Mitchell's music I was at a record store and I randomly put in her album Blue at a listening station. It is the one time that I've actually sat and listened to an entire album start to finish in the record store. This selection reminds me of Emma Thompson's character in the film "Love Actually." Band of Horses has released one of the very finest albums of the year, and so has The Figurines (a Danish group of indie kids). Sometimes I think that if I could have a singing voice I would make it similar to Richard Hawley's. He's got that deep crooner's tone, which really suits his style well. I'm pretty low on the hip hop, as you can tell, but I really appreciate what Blackalicious does. My friend James Crowley introduced me to German band The Notwist and they are fairly good. And Otis Redding. Wow. This is a guy we could have used around for a much longer time.

1. The Arcade Fire - Wake Up
2. Rosie Thomas - Wedding Day
3. Electric Light Orchestra - Mr. Blue Sky
4. Blackalicious - World of Vibrations
5. Joni Mitchell - Both Sides Now
6. Band of Horses - The Funeral
7. Bonnie Raitt - I Can't Make You Love Me
8. Damien Jurado - Tonight I Will Retire
9. Patty Griffin - Nobody's Crying
10. The Notwist - Consequence
11. Otis Redding - Try A Little Tenderness (live)
12. The Black Crowes - Descender
13. Richard Hawley - The Only Road
14. David Bowie - A Space Oddity
15. The Figurines - Rivalry

No comments: